A guide for how to defeat the Big Strong Tree early in Omori, the very first time you encounter it in the Vast Forest. Because it is possible, know virtually no extra skills other than what you have on hand at the moment you encounter the Big Strong Tree.
When to Defeat Big Strong Tree
After you “wake up” in the White Room again, after getting thru Sunny’s Home for the first time in the Real World, you’ll exit after getting the Map of Inner Space and the Hangman menu’s to Neighbor’s Room, where you will find your friends Aubrey, Hero, and Kal very upset and asking if you have seen Basil, after being sent back to the White Room and stabbing yourself, leading you to wake up in the Real World.
Obviously, Basil is nowhere to be found nearby, at which point your friends suggest you go search for Basil at Basil’s House past the playground. Upon searching it, however, Basil is nowhere to be found. Aubrey begins to panic before Kel helps calm her down, and eventually, the suggestion comes up that Basil may have gotten lost in the Vast Forest, and that maybe you should go look for him there.
The Vast Forest is filled with lots of goodies, but in particular, is the monster Big Strong Tree. It is exactly what it sounds like–a Big, Strong Tree. However, this tree has a truly indomitable defense and is immune to emotion. If you can figure out how to defeat it, you will be awarded 500 EXP which–at a time in the game when a standard battle may award you only around 16-36 EXP–makes Big, Strong Tree a valuable enemy to defeat. Furthermore, unlike other enemies in the Vast Forest, it does not re-spawn, meaning once you defeat it, another will not rise in its place.
Many players, at this point in the game, choose to run after attempting–and failing–to even make so much as a dent in the Big, Strong Tree, but I assure you: IT CAN BE DONE.
Read Further to find out What You WIll Need to begin the process of defeating Big, Strong Tree upon the first encounter – without ever needing to run away.
What You Will Need
Because of the early stage of the game, many people end up running away and giving up after attempting to make a dent in the defenses of the Big, Strong Tree. There is, however, a way to defeat this monster, with a little patience, planning, and preparation.
The timing that you choose to fight the Big, Strong Tree is crucial, as if you complete the “Search for Basil” task, you will be told to go back and talk to Mari, which will stall your ability to battle the monster tree for a while. Therefore, you should attempt this task from the early outset of the “Search for Basil”.
Here is what you will need:
- A minimum of 300 Clams. As you leave Neighbor’s Room, the same snake that gave you an “allowance” of 50 Clams earlier will now give you an “allowance” of 200 Clams. If you spent the earlier Clams, don’t worry–it’s pretty easy to farm them from the Vast Forest. Alternately, you could go to the cave with the Ghost Dog, exit, and re-enter repeatedly to collect some decent items, then go back to the mailbox at the playground and re-sell those items for Clams.
- Omori’s Stab Ability. This will have already been granted to you earlier in the Game. If you will take note of it now, it says very explicitly that it “Always Deals a Critical Hit”, but that it ALSO “Ignores Defense When Omori is Sad”. This skill is what our tactics will hinge on.
- 15 Apple Juices, at least. If you go to the blue mailbox at the bottom of the playground, near the entrance to the split forest path that leads to the Vast Forest, Train Station, and Basil’s Garden, you’ll notice he sells Apple Juice for 20 Clams each. It’s a little on the steep side, but these are essential to defeating the monster Tree. You will need them to replenish Omori’s Juice gauge throughout the battle. Preferably, to be safe, you really want around 17-20 Apple Juice, or items that will near-restore Omori’s Juice gauge.
- Rubber Bands (optional). These aren’t necessary to defeat the Tree, but they will help lower its defense in a measurable way to allow your other party members to assist.
- PATIENCE. LOTS AND LOTS OF PATIENCE. This will be a drawn-out battle, so you’re gonna have to stick to the method, and have a ton of patience while you watch the Tree’s Heart gauge gradually drop. But it will drop.
So just hang in there, follow the steps that will be outlined coming up, and you will absolutely defeat the Big, Strong Tree!
That's everything we are sharing today for this OMORI guide. This guide was originally created and written by AshuraMaru. In case we fail to update this guide, you can find the latest update by following this link.