- Title: Distant Worlds 2
- Release Date: March 10, 2022
- Developer: CodeForce
- Publisher: Slitherine Ltd.
Here are some practical tips for optimizing your fuel networks and fuel efficiency, especially important with recent updates leading to increased issues in this area. These insights have been collected from both myself and fellow community members.
Fuel Network Tips and Tricks
- Choose the Right Reactor Type: When assessing reactor options on the tech screen, consider reactor stats carefully. Quantum reactors may appear appealing due to their high output, but keep an eye on the Caslon:Fuel ratio. Quantum reactors have a notably inefficient ratio of 5:1, which can cause fuel depletion during long journeys. Fusion reactors, while offering lower output, boast a better conversion ratio of 1.444/1.000. For ships, prioritize fusion reactors, and save quantum reactors for stations or potentially strike craft, taking care to monitor fuel range statistics.
- Mining Station Enhancement: Make the most of mining stations by equipping them with large mining engines. Additionally, consider adding smaller mining engines to these stations for a cumulative effect. Remember that smaller mining engines stack, explaining why “large mining station” hulls provide ample space for multiple non-support modules.
- Effective Fuel Tanker Design: When designing fuel tankers, tailor them for specific fleets requiring refueling. Keep in mind that fuel tankers transfer fuel using Caslon stored in their cargo holds, not from their own fuel tanks. While equipping one or two fuel tanks is advisable, prioritize cargo holds for optimal fuel transfer. Fuel tankers will naturally convert Caslon from their cargo holds in case of fuel shortage, eliminating concerns about self-fueling.
- Anticipating AI Behavior: Should you establish a trade agreement with a distant empire, anticipate that your freighters might attempt to trade regardless of their current fuel supply’s feasibility. To mitigate this, equip your freighters with ample fuel tanks to support such trade agreements. In the early game, consider the potential drawbacks of signing trade agreements with faraway empires, as it could negatively impact your logistical network.
- Manual Mining for Supply: When facing challenges in supplying specific locations (such as Ghost fleet bases), craft a troop transport design with a cargo hold and small mining engine. This setup enables manual mining from any location, with the flexibility to redirect the ship’s offload location as needed.
- Managing Spaceport Effects: Recognize that spaceports significantly elevate Caslon demand at colonies by up to 4-8 times, potentially straining your logistics. Construct spaceports strategically, staggering their development as you would with planet colonization. Assigning a fleet to a location as a home base further amplifies its Caslon demand.
- Utilizing Small Mining Engines: Take advantage of the versatility of small mining engines, applicable to various stations except for passenger and freighter ships. These engines can function as refuel depots when manually sending fleets for refueling. In wartime, strategically deploy monitoring stations equipped solely with cargo capacity and manually specify a Caslon demand to direct freighters.
- Leveraging Energy Collectors: Opt for operating stations exclusively on energy collectors, ensuring continuous power even during combat situations. This approach extends beyond static energy coverage, sustaining station functionality throughout engagements.
- Optimizing Combat Carriers: Capitalize on the capacity of carriers to function as fuel tankers, especially within compact formation fleets. Cruisers can serve as swift combat fuel tankers when managed manually, providing ample fuel storage compared to traditional tankers. These ships complement fuel monitoring stations effectively.
- Consider Fleet Fuel Caps: For large fleets of smaller ships, monitor their overall fuel capacity and usage. If the fleet’s total fuel capacity rivals the stock at your most resource-rich locations, it becomes unwieldy. In this scenario, split the fleet into smaller groups to manage logistics efficiently.
These tips should help you enhance your fuel networks and overall fuel efficiency, contributing to smoother gameplay and strategic decision-making.
That's everything we are sharing today for this Distant Worlds 2 guide. This guide was originally created and written by Sabaithal. In case we fail to update this guide, you can find the latest update by following this link.