A brief guide on to how to register customer officers (CAWs) to replace generic officers in the game, and some suggestions for which officers to replace based on which are most prevalent across the 5 main Empire scenarios.
A nice feature added to the empires games in Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires is the ability to replace generic officer models with characters you’ve made in Edit Mode. Whilst easy to do, the game doesn’t really tell you that you can do this, so this guide is to explain how for those who weren’t aware of this feature.
I’ve also included some recommendations for officers to swap with custom officers, highlighting those who appear frequently throughout various kingdoms in the 5 main scenarios.
Register Swapped Officer
First, create or download a new custom officer. The name doesn’t matter as this will be set to that of the replaced officer.
Then, whilst in the custom officers list press start/space to bring up the options menu. The option we want is ‘Register Swapped Officer’. Select this and then select the custom character you want to use. The game then brings up a list of all characters in the game. Search for the officer you want to replace and select them. You will return to the Custom officers list and now the name of the replaced officer will appear as the name of your custom character in gold.
Finally, when you start a new game in Empire mode, just make sure ‘Replace Common Officers’ is set to ‘All’ and your custom characters will now appear in place of the generic models in the game.
Where to Start
You may already have an idea of who you want to create custom models for, but if not there are hundreds of officers to choose from, some of whom are more prevalent than others.
I was interested in prioritising officers who appear as officers within Kingdoms (i.e. not free officers) across multiple scenarios, and there are only a handful of common officers who appear across more than 2 of the 5 scenarios as officers within kingdoms.
If you’re like me, you may want to chose some of these officers to replace first to get more bang for your buck across different scenarios, so I’ve listed some key candidates from various factions below.
Very few officers in Coup d’etat scenario are officers for Kingdoms in the earlier scenarios, so I’ve also mentioned the few who break this trend.
Most Shu officers rarely appear as officers within kingdoms in more than 1 scenario, as Liu Bei doesn’t have a starting Kingdom in any scenario outside of Chibi. There are nonetheless a couple of interesting officers who are deserving of custom character replacements:
- Mi Zhu – Officer under Tao Qian in the Yellow Turban & Dong Zhuo scenarios, then under Liu Bei in Chibi. (Officer in 3/5 scenarios)
- Liao Hua – A fascinating one who is the only officer in the whole game to be an officer in only the first and last scenario – A Yellow Turban Officer in the first scenario and an officer under Liu Shan in Coup D’etat (Officer in 2/5 scenarios)
- Sun Qian – The only common officer other than Mi Zhu in Liu Bei’s Kingdom in the Chibi scenario (Officer in 1/5 scenarios)
- Zhou Cang – A Yellow Turban Officer in the first scenario, and an addition to the SHU roster in Dynasty Warriors 9. (Officer in 1/5 scenarios)
- Cheng Pu / Zhu Zhi – Veterans of Sun Jian from Yellow Turban scenario all the way through to Chibi. Cheng Pu is also a new playable character in Dynasty Warriors 9 (Officers in 4/5 scenarios)
- Yu Fan – An unexpected standout, but an officer under Wang Lang for the first two scenarios then under Wu for Guandu and Chibi (Officer in 4/5 scenarios)
- Sun Jing – Sun Jian veteran like Cheng Pu and Zhu Zhi, but no longer available in Chibi (Officer in 3/5 scenarios)
- Quan Zhong – Has the distinction of being the only generic Wu Officer present in the kingdom for both the Chibi and Coup d’etat scenarios (Officer in 2/5 scenarios)
Cao Cao was known for recruiting many officers from the various factions in the earlier period, so there are a lot of generic Wei officers who appear in 3 or more of the main scenarios.
- Wang Lang – This one surprised me, but the Wang Lang who is a ruler in the first two scenarios servers under Cao Cao for Guandu and Chibi (Officer in 4/5 scenarios)
- Cai Mao / Kuai Yue / Han Song / Wen Pin / Zhang Yun – Liu Biao officers in the first 3 scenarios who serve Cao Cao in the Chibi scenario. (Officers in 4/5 scenarios)
- Chen Gui / Zang Ba – Officers under Tao Qian in the first two scenarios then under Cao Cao for Guandu (Officers in 3/5 scenarios)
- Zhang Ji / Tian Yu – The only 2 generic Wei Officers present in the kingdom for both the Chibi and Coup d’etat scenarios. Make sure you search for the correct Zhang Ji, as there is a second Zhang Ji who is a Dong Zhuo officer (Officers in 2/5 scenarios)
- Man Chong / Cao Xiu / Xun You – All new officers in Dynasty Warriors 9 (Officers in 2/5 scenarios)
- Zhang Xiu / Zhang Nan – Further officers who server under other factions before Cao Cao. Zhang Xiu under Dong Zhuo in the Dong Zhuo scenario and Zhang Nan under Yuan Shao in Guandu. (Officers in 2/5 scenarios)
The Jin faction is only present in the one scenario and none of its common officers are officers in factions in the Chibi scenario or before. If you want more Jin Characters for Coup d’etat your choices are limited to Chen Tai / Wang Ji / Wang Hun / Wang Su / Wang Xiang / Gao Rou / Zhou Tai / Shao Ti / Xu Zhi / Ma Long
Common officers from other factions who appear across multiple scenarios are:
- Meng You / Dong Tuna / Mang Yachang / Jinhuan Sanjie / Ahui Nan – generic officers under Meng Huo with all the same officers during each of the first four scenarios (Officers in 4/5 scenarios)
- Yan Liang / Wen Chou / Guo Tu / Xu You / Shen Pei / Feng Ji – Yuan Shao officers present in all three scenarios where Yuan Shao’s kingdom is present (Officers in 3/5 scenarios)
- Ma Teng / Han Sui – The only generic officers present in all four scenarios with the Ma Teng faction (Officers in 4/5 scenarios)
- Zhang Lu / Zhang Wei / Yan Pu / Yang Song / Yang Ren / Yang Bo – The Zhang Lu faction is present with all the same officers during each of the first four scenarios (Officers in 4/5 scenarios)
- Liu Zhang / Gao Pei / Leng Bao / Liu Gui / Pang Yi / Wu Yi / Xu Jing / Yan Yan / Yang Huai / Zhang Ren – The Liu Yan/Zhang faction is present with all the same officers during each of the first four scenarios, with the exception of Liu Yan who is only present in the first two. Some of these are SHU officers, but don’t appear under Liu Bei / Liu Shan in any of the DW8E scenarios (Officers in 4/5 scenarios)
- Huang Shao / Gong Du – Yellow turban officers who lead factions in the Dong Zhuo scenario (Officers in 2/5 scenarios)
- Li Ru / Guo Si / Li Jue / Dong Min / Hua Xiong – most notable officers from Dong Zhuo’s faction present in both of the first two scenarios. (Officers in 2/5 scenarios)
- Gao Shun – Officer under Ding Yuan in the Yellow Turban scenario then under Dong Zhuo. (Officers in 2/5 scenarios)
- Gongsun Zan / Liu Yao / Yan Baihu / Yuan Shu / Tao Qian – Notable Rulers only present in the first two scenarios (Officers in 2/5 scenarios)
If you have any other suggestions for the list, let me know and I will be happy to include them.
That's everything we are sharing today for this Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires guide. This guide was originally created and written by Aurelian. In case we fail to update this guide, you can find the latest update by following this link.