When I first reached the “end” of Treasure Hunter Claire, I was initially confused by the dissonance between what was happening to me and what several other game guides mention. I just beat the game, so why did I not get any titles? It turns out that there is a little more going on, so I will provide a slightly more in-depth explanation for anyone who is as confused as I was.
First off, a tip – if you want to experience all of the game’s endings in the fewest number of playthroughs, do not complete any of your allies’ Affection Quests until after you reach Heaven and create a separate save file. Creating separate save files before key decision points will help you maximize your experience without having to replay the game too many times.
There are 6 distinct endings to Treasure Hunter Claire. Some of them have their own CGs, while others just have some additional dialogue. Theoretically, it is possible to experience all 6 endings in just 2 playthroughs. Minor spoilers ahead.
- EVIL END: attained by having 100 Karma and Affection of 1 or less with all 7 allies when you encounter the Angel Boss in Heaven.
- BAD END: attained by having 70 or more Karma and not qualifying for the EVIL END (have at least 1 allies’ Affection 2 or greater) when you encounter the Angel Boss in Heaven
- TRUE END: attained by being on a NG+ save file, having total Karma less than 15, and having 5 Affection with all 7 allies when you encounter the Angel Boss in Heaven.
- NORMAL END: do not meet the conditions for any of the other endings when you encounter the Angel Boss in Heaven (Karma < 70, Affection for at least 1 ally > 1)
- DOM END: qualify for the NORMAL END route, but have DOM status and DOM = 100 when you encounter the Goddess in the Dark Temple.
- SUB END: qualify for the NORMAL END route, but have SUB status, and SUB = 100 when you encounter the Goddess in the Dark Temple.
Essentially, there are two key decision points in the game where you can change what ending you will achieve (one for endings 1-3, the other for endings 4-6), and the ending you receive is mostly based on 3 things: your Karma, ally Affection, and your DOM/SUB level. I will go over those in more detail in the next section.
First Decision Point: Angel Boss
The first decision point that affect the ending you receive is before you encounter the Angel Boss at the end of the Heaven area. Since you are interrupted by a cutscene before you can see him, make sure to SAVE once you see a short cutscene where Claire looks at a wall mural of the Goddess (the Angel Boss is almost immediately after that).
When you encounter the Angel Boss and the cutscene starts, you will be forced onto one of 4 different routes towards different endings. After your route is selected, you cannot change your route. The fourth route has 3 different endings that you can choose between at a later time. The different routes are:
EVIL END Route
Karma = 100, all ally Affection < 2
Claire allies with the Goddess and her Angel minions, deciding to wreak bloody vengeance on the people of the surface. Pretty brutal. You skip fighting the Angel Boss and are locked into a short, fairly linear path where you play as “Dark Claire” and have massively boosted stats, but limited abilities and cannot change your equipment. Completing this does not reward you with a CG and will take you to the generic NG+ screen where you can choose to start a new save file. I don’t think you get any titles from completing this route, but it was my second playthrough so I’m not 100% certain
BAD END Route
Karma 70 or greater, not qualified for EVIL END
Claire and her allies are captured by the Angels and become their pleasure servants. You skip fighting the Angel Boss and the game ends immediately after viewing this ending’s unique CG. This takes you directly to the NG+ screen, and I have confirmed that you do not receive any titles with “beat the game” as their requirements (because you didn’t beat the game, you failed, you degenerate).
TRUE END Route
NG+ only, Karma less than 15, all ally Affection = 5
The squad unites to take down evil. You fight the Angel Boss, then are locked into the TRUE END route where you are given the objective of defeating the Goddess in the Dark Temple. You are able to freely complete quests and do anything else you were doing before then. Once you complete this route by defeating the Goddess, you will unlock the “Superhero Adventurer” title and the game will continue without taking you to the NG+ screen (you can start another NG+ by interacting with the Teddy Bear in Claire’s house). You will also unlock the hidden area “Demon King’s Castle”. Exploring this zone will unlock a unique CG, some neat Easter eggs, and allow you to fight a very challenging hidden boss. Defeating it will award the “Traveler of Spacetime” title.
NORMAL END Route
Conditions for other routes not met
If you don’t meet the requirements for any other route (have Karma < 70), you are locked into the NORMAL END route. You fight the Angel Boss, then have to defeat the Goddess in the Dark Temple. Like with the TRUE END route, you are able to freely complete quests and roam the world until you do this. There are three different endings to this route, depending on your DOM/SUB stats. More information about that is in the next section.
It is important to note that once you are locked into a route, you cannot change it. This particularly applies to the TRUE END and NORMAL END routes. Once you have started either of these routes, increasing your Karma does not change the ending you receive.
Second Decision Point: Goddess
If you have been locked into the NORMAL END route by failing to meet the conditions for the EVIL END, BAD END, or TRUE END routes when you encounter the Angel Boss in Heaven, the game will resume as normal and you will be able to continue exploring the world and completing quests. Like with the TRUE END route, you will be given the goal of defeating the Goddess in the Dark Temple, though the circumstances are somewhat different.
At the end of the Dark Temple, you will encounter the Goddess and will receive one of three different endings depending on your DOM/SUB status and total DOM/SUB points. Like with the Angel Boss, the encounter will begin before you see the Goddess, so you should save first (when you go down a wide staircase, then go through a door to find a hallway with 4 pillars, she is near). The endings are as follows.
Have DOM status and DOM = 100
You will see the ending sequence that is very similar to the other two endings, except with an extra part near the end (very similar to the SUB END). You will unlock a unique CG, as well as the “Heroic Adventurer” and “Super Lewd Adventurer” titles, and end up on the NG+ screen to start a new game.
Have SUB status and SUB = 100
Exactly the same as the DOM END, except with a different CG.
Other conditions not met
You get this ending if you do not meet the conditions for either of the other two (no DOM/SUB status and DOM/SUB < 100). The ending sequence is very similar to the DOM/SUB endings, except there is no CG and you will only unlock the “Heroic Adventurer” title (unless you have DOM/SUB status). You end up on the NG+ screen and can start a new game.
Optimal Pathing for Endings
Assuming you want to see all 6 endings in as few playthroughs as possible, here are the optimal steps to follow.
- On your first playthrough, play up until you unlock Heaven. Karma and other substats don’t matter but avoid doing ally Affection Quests (any quest given by one of your 7 allies – they also say “affection quest” in the description).
- Before entering Heaven, ensure you have a whole stack of Pure Heart and Tainted Heart from Millith (if you don’t have enough already).
- Play through Heaven and create a separate save file just before you fight the Angel Boss (right after you see the mural).
- First, use Tainted Heart if needed to reach 100 Karma, then encounter the Angel Boss. Play through the short ending sequence to see the EVIL END.
- Reload your save. Go do a few Affection quests (at least two for the same ally). After returning to the area before the Angel Boss, create another new save (or save over your EVIL END file if you don’t want to keep it) then use Tainted Heart if needed until you have 70+ Karma. Proceed to encounter the Angel Boss for the BAD END.
- Reload the save after you have done enough Affection quests to qualify for the BAD END, then use Pure Heart if needed to lower your Karma below 70. Encounter the Angel Boss to follow the NORMAL END route.
- Buy a lot of Aromatic Oil (SUB + DOM) and ensure you have at least 1x Aphrodisiac (DOM), 1x Aphrodisiac (SUB), and 1x Purifying Tincture in stock plus enough Purifying Tincture or Aromatic Herb, then go to the Dark Temple. Before you encounter the Goddess (long hallway with 4 pillars), make a separate save file.
- First, ensure you do not have a DOM/SUB status and that your DOM/SUB stats are both less than 100, then encounter the Goddess for the NORMAL END.
- Reload the save, then use your items to get either DOM or SUB status and 100 points in either DOM or SUB accordingly, then encounter the Goddess for the DOM or SUB END.
- Reload the save again, then use your items to get either DOM or SUB status (the other one) and 100 points in the appropriate stat, then encounter the Goddess for the other ending.
- On the NG+ screen, start a new game, choosing the option to keep your level and items. Do not skip the introduction. Instead, as soon as you are able to control your character in the Temple, equip the “Heroic Adventurer” title.
- Speedrun through the game, skipping all side quests until you reach Heaven. Avoid using sexual skills in combat or using proposition/prostitution, or being grappled by monsters if possible. This way, your Karma, Desire, and Shyness will not rise at all.
- Take a break from the main quest to complete all ally Affection quests (all allies should have 5 Affection).
- Defeat the Angel Boss. After this point, you are free – you can clear other quests or just go fight the Goddess in the Dark Temple first. Regardless, you will end up with the TRUE END and can keep playing if you want to unlock all the titles, or use the teddy bear in Claire’s house to start another new game or unlock all CGs.
And that concludes this Treasure Hunter Claire guide. Help us improve this guide by leaving your suggestions in the comment section below.